" All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. ”
( Romans 8:14 )
30th July 7th Sunday after Trinity
St Peter & St Paul
8am - Holy Communion
10am - Parish Communion
St Mary's Ballinger
A Description of the Parish
The parish consists of the village of Great Missenden and the hamlets of Little Hampden, Ballinger and South Heath. The Parish Church of St. Peter & St. Paul is set on the side of a hill overlooking the village. Two little 'daughter' churches serve the communities at Little Hampden and Ballinger.
The name 'Missenden' has Anglo-Saxon roots. Today, the countryside is a mix of woodland, pasture and arable. The principle local industry is still agriculture but most people work in London or nearby towns. There are a growing number of small service-orientated businesses in the village, some of which are home-based.
The village possesses a fine range of 16th/17th century buildings adapted over the years to changing needs and tastes. At the southern end of the village High Street is the medieval George Inn, behind which is the old manorial court house.
A little further on is Missenden Abbey. Founded as a monastery in 1133 the abbey was closed down in 1538. Since then the buildings have been changed and adapted to the meet the requirements of gracious living. The house is now a training centre offering a wide range of courses.
Although forced to compete with the facilities available in nearby towns, there is a good range of shops, banks, a library and other service providers . There is a good rail service direct to London (Marylebone) provided by Chiltern Railways.
Useful links for Visitors
Church Crawler - includes information and photographs of some of Great Missenden's Churches.
The Chiltern Society - aims to maintain the special qualities of the Chiltern Hills.
The Roald Dahl Museum - on Great Missenden High Street. Information about the Museum, events calendar and more.
The Roald Dahl Homepage - a detailed account of Roald Dahl, who lived in Great Missenden and was buried in St. Peter & St. Paul's graveyard in 1990.